Actions done in meatspace
- Speak/text/transmit phrase (Free)
- Observe in detail (Simple)
- Use skill (Complex)
Characters move at different rates, measured in the number of metres they travel during their phase.
- Crawling (no action used) - prone characters can crawl up to 2 metres.
- Walking (no action used) - all characters can walk up to 5 metres in their phase without using any actions or taking any penalties.
- Running (Free) - characters can quicken their pace to a run by spending a Free action. This lets them move 10+(Agi×2) metres. They will take a -2 penalty to almost all actions they do during the phase, though. (However, note it becomes a +2 bonus to melee combat; this is the ‘charging in’ modifier.)
- Sprinting (Complex) - characters may travel even faster by spending a Complex action to make a sprinting test (Running + Strength [Physical]). For every hit on this test, most metatypes can travel a further 2 metres than their running distance. Dwarves can only travel 1 metre further per hit, however. They will continue to take a -2 penalty, as for running.
Take cover (Simple)
Assuming there is some nearby suitable object, this grants the in cover bonus (+2 or +4 to defence rolls) until the character moves again. Note they might get flanked, though.
Drop prone (Free) / Stand up (Simple)
Drop to the ground or get back up again.
- Drop object (Free)
- Pick up / put down object (Simple)
- Use simple device - includes pressing buttons, turning something on or off, ejecting a weapon clip, changing a weapon’s fire mode, etc.
- with DNI (Free)
- without DNI (Simple)
- Ready weapon
- Pistol w/ slide or quick draw holster (Free)
- Handgun (up to SMG) or short melee/thrown weapon (Simple)
- Long gun, sword, bow, etc (Complex)
- Insert clip (Simple)
- Reload non-clip weapon (special)
- Call a shot (Free)
- Take Aim (special) (TODO)
- Attack (Complex) (see below)
- Declare split multiple attack (Free)
- Carnival of Carnage (special) (see below)
You can do as many attacks, during your turn, as you have actions to spend; the only exception is for single-shot (SS) weapons, which can only be used to attack once per turn.
- Complex action:
- Fire Weapon (SS) (only once per turn)
- Fire Bow
- Fire Weapon (SA, BF, FA)
- Throw Weapon
- Melee Attack
- Complex + Free action:
- Multi-attack (split dice pool - as per 5e CRB)
- Complex + variable number of Simple actions:
- Carnival of Carnage multi-attack (full dice pool; see below)
Recoil is no longer tracked across turns, but it does apply (in total) across all the attacks done within a single phase.
Recoil exampleAlice has two Complex actions to spend, and uses them to do two Fire Weapon (BF) attacks, so that’s 6 points of recoil that applies across both of her attacks. If she has four points of Recoil Compensation, she takes a net -2 penalty on both attacks. However, when she starts her next turn, the recoil counter is reset.
Carnival of Carnage
If the attacker has either:
- a ranged weapon and
- extra physical/meatspace actions and
- a smartlink with a DNI connection to a smartgun
- a melee weapon and
- multiple targets within movement range
…then they can use a new type of multiple attack, Carnival of Carnage.
To use CoC:
- It requires one Complex action, plus one Simple action for each additional target in addition to the first.
- Calculate recoil according to the total number of bullets fired and apply it to each roll.
- Eg. if using one Complex and two Simple actions to shoot three people with a burst-fire gun, it’s 9 bullets.
- Roll your full dice pool (plus modifiers) against each target.
- (For simplicity’s sake, unless the modifiers are different, just roll once and use the same number of hits against each target.)
- Resolve damage against each target as usual.
Note that you cannot use Carnival of Carnage to attack one target multiple times.