These rules are not yet canon for my current campaign.
Taking heavy inspiration from Blades in the Dark:
- Before any scene, players declare a load level in terms of the table below.
- During the scene, players may dynamically decide that they have brought an item of equipment, subject to limitations as set out below.
- The second column is the penalty or bonus applied to a Perception check for anyone to notice your gear.
- Note that someone noticing your gear isn’t automatically an issue, of course, it depends on context.
- Wearing a lined coat or having a conceal holster at levels Medium or below imposes an extra -2.
- You may carry one piece of equipment at your declared level. For example, if your level is Medium, you can have a heavy pistol or a cyberdeck, but not both.
- You can carry two items of gear chosen from the level below your declared level. So if you declare Medium, and you declare that your heaviest item of kit was a heavy pistol, you might later decide you have two additional magazines for it, or one magazine and a low-rated medkit.
- You can carry four items chosen from the tier below that.
In theory I could keep doubling here, but I plan to handwave it away at some point. Don’t take the piss and declare that because you have a machine gun you also have 10,000 knives, or I will engineer the situation so you really wish you had a spoon.
Here’s some common items of gear grouped into load levels. Some GM moderation will be necessary to slot other items into this list as they come up.
|Level||Perception modifier||Weapons & ammo||drones||Electronics and other gear|
|Always hidden||micro drone||RFID tag, bug, slap patch, credstick, chips|
|“Naked”||-8||Hold-out pistol. Knife, sap. Revolver speedloader. Throwing knife, shuriken.||Commlink, jammer, lockpicks, goggles|
|Light||-4||Light pistol. Monowhip, collapsible baton. Magazine. Microgrenade.||mini drone||medkit (R1-2)|
|Medium||0||Heavy pistol, machine pistol (stock folded). Club. Extended mag. Grenade, flashpak.||Cyberdeck, RCC|
|Heavy||+4||SMG, sawn-off shotgun (stock folded). Sword. Ammo belt/drum.||small drone||medkit (R3-4)|
|Loaded for bears||+8||Sport / assault rifles, shotgun, grenade launcher, crossbow. Katana.|
|Loaded for dragons||Always spotted||Sniper rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher. Claymore, staff. Bow.||medium drone||medkit (R5+), metahuman body|
- maybe tie armour into this somehow too
- write up some chemsniffer rules that balance APDS/ex-ex